Open Concept Modern Home
Throughout the design and construction process, my clients kept referring to their open concept modern home as their ‘treehouse’. The tall and unique home has vast open spaces as well as quiet living pockets within the 3 stories. The home is welcoming and sheltered by many mature trees already existing on the lot. This lot has been the clients for many years. They decided to stay put and build their dream home on it because they loved the location, their neighbours, and the community. This home is a new-build infill with stunning custom details for the clients to love in every room.
In addition to the open concept floor plan, the interior design of this home focused mainly on the importance of ‘forms’. These sleek, modern forms are seen everywhere throughout the home. From the open shelving bookshelf that extends from the main floor to the upper loft ceiling, to the substantial walnut veneered a-symmetrical fireplace mantel design, this home is confident in all its elements!
As well as the importance of forms, we enjoyed working with the client on balancing the interior finishes and selections in the home. These interior finishes and selections include the heaviness of the steel, concrete, warm woods, glass railing, windows, and white walls. This space is balanced both vertically & horizontally and these finishes flow from space to space. Some fantastic features in this space are as follows:
- Fireplace Design: Includes an asymmetrical walnut horizontal grain mantel with concrete surround and a transitional hearth that flows with bottom two stairwell steps.
- Stairwell + Railing: Open riser concrete stair treads, black steel posts, & glass railing with stainless steel details. The concrete work is completed by Calgary’s Sculptural Designs.
- Open Bookshelves + Reading Nooks: A visual 2-story open bookcase built-ins made in walnut with black steel posts. This shelf looks stunning as you walk into the room and helps separate the reading nook areas.
- Windows: The floor to ceiling windows are beautifully placed allowing the home to be designed amongst the trees while still maintaining privacy.
- Foyer Pendants: Esque Waterdrop Pendants designed in Portland, OR
- White Walls: C2-836 Cotton
Finally, here are the beautiful photos we would like to share! It was a great privilege to work with these wonderful clients on their new home.
We love all the design details in this open concept modern home and hope they can inspire your next project too. – NFID
Project: Private Residence, Briar Hill, Calgary, AB
Interior Design Firm: Natalie Fuglestveit Interior Design servicing projects across Canada, based out of Kelowna, BC.
Photography: Lindsay Nichols Photography, Calgary, AB
Contractor: CCI Management, Calgary, AB